Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Endometriosis Doctors - It's really hard to tell a good one from a not-so-good one

Personally, I really don't know how to tell a good endometriosis doctor from a not-so-good one. There are lots of websites out there that list doctors whom have been recommended by friends and readers. However, not all of the doctors listed are necessarily "experts". In fact, given the uncertainty around what causes endometriosis and how to cure it, I wonder if there are any true experts out there. I've heard that endo doctors in Europe have a leg up on U.S. doctors. Frankly, I have no idea.

I would be most impressed by a doctor who recommended alternative treatments along with (or instead of) the conventional ones and who seemed to have a good grasp and respect for both. So far, my doctor, Dr. Goldman, seems to be aware of alternative treatments, but doesn't seem to have any real faith in them. He, instead, only seems to have true faith in birth control pills, Lupron and other more drastic (less natural) means of dealing with endo. This may be sheer wisdom on his part. He may have seen women trying various alternative techniques throughout the decades with no real results. Part of me feels, however, that he, like most conventional doctors out there, just naturally gravitates toward medical solutions and doesn't put much weight in food, diet, supplements or progesterone cream as being able to accomplish much in terms of curing something like endometriosis. This being said, I did use him for my first surgery and am using him for my second surgery.

I will caution readers against one doctor: Masahide D. Kanayama a practioner in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticutt. This is not because I have proof that he is a good or bad doctor. He may be an excellent endometriosis surgeon. What bothered me so much about Dr. Kanayama, whom I met in person after I saw his name listed on Endo Resolved (a website that I actually think is good in terms of presenting lots of traditional and alternative information on endometriosis) is that he claims to have won several awards as being "the top" or "a top" endometriosis surgeon in the U.S., when in fact many, if not all of the awards are questionable at best. For example:

Furthermore, I have met with a few endometriosis surgeons in New York City who have strongly cautioned me against him, telling me that he tells people that they need surgery immediately when there is no need. Also, when I met with him he told me that after his surgeries patients do not need surgery again for five years. There is no guarantee of this - ever - and I believe it was wrong of him to say this to me.

Having met quite a few doctors who treat endometriosis in New York City, I did like Iris Orbuch, who looks very young, but did train under C.Y. Liu and Harry Reich, whom I am told are leaders in the field of endometriosis in the U.S. She has been in private practice for 2.5 years and does surgery at Lenox Hill. I liked when she told me that she would never tell her patients to take Lupron (although almost every other endo doctor I have talked to recommends it). Although I must admit, I do feel that some of her answers regarding birth control etal. were geared toward telling me what I want to hear. I also met with Nabil Husami, whom I liked a lot. He was honest in telling me that I do not need surgery immediately and that surgery should always be the last resort. Not many surgeons say this. Furthermore, he was very current in terms of endometriosis statistics and what seems to work vs. what does not. He is a believer in Lupron, however.

No comments: