Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Miraval - A great place to go if you like hormones in your meat


This is my first time at Miraval and I must say that it's a very nice place. I can see why Oprah Winfrey, CondeNast Traveler, Traveler & Leisure and many other publications have rated it so highly.

Miraval's website says that Miraval's mission is to help people bring their lives into balance by learning to live mindfully "based on the art of healthy, inspired living." Accordingly, Miraval offers its clients a variety of classes and wellness services designed to help them learn how to live healthier, more balanced lives. Clients can choose from spa services, classes such as yoga, pilates and meditation, "outward bound" types of physical/psychological challenges, as well as a whole host of other offerings, including cooking and nutrition classes.

I would encourage anyone who can afford it (it's expensive) to visit Miraval, with one caveat. Given Miraval's focus is health and wellness, which encompass nutrition and healthy eating, one would expect that the food that is served here would be all-natural and organic whenever possible. This is not the case. I've been told by some staff members that in the past Miraval did strive to serve its guests only organic or as-close-to-organic food as was possible. It seems this policy changed when the resort was purchased by Steve Case of AOL fame. I am sure that from a business point of view Miraval is saving a lot of money by doing this, but I believe it is doing a great disservice to its clients.

It seems the changeover from organic produce to non-organic was done so quietly that many of the people that have worked at Miraval for years are unaware that it has happened. I would not know had I not contacted the nutritionists at Miraval weeks in advance because of my special dietary needs. I was told that they would be able to procure organic meat for me at an additional charge. I said that I would be fine with just hormone-free meats, but they said that most of the meats and poultry they purchase (including the eggs) have hormones. The kitchen was also able to procure organic yogurt and cottage cheese for me, but the remainder of the guests are not served these products. Additionally, not all of the vegetables served at Miraval are organic.

Miraval is considered the premiere health and wellness destination spa in the United States and, perhaps, the world, and the cost of staying here reflects this. Given the availability of hormone and pesticide-free produce in the U.S. and the resort's goal to promote the health of its clients, I believe it should procure the healthiest food it can for its clients. I'm sure that guests (as, indeed, many of the staff members were) would be surprised and disappointed to find out that Miraval does not make this a priority and would gladly pay the extra $30 a day or more that it would cost to know that they are getting a complete wellness package while they are here, right down to the food that they eat.
(By the way, the resort ended up not charging me for the hormone-free and organic foods they provided me during my stay, which was nice).

No comments: